2014 is coming to a close. With the holiday season comes reflections on the year and what I have and have not accomplished. The thing is I did not have any really high hopes or grand ambitions for 2014. Those who I have run with for a long time know that my tendency is to sign up for races and events and never finish them. I am a big thinker who has difficulty with the follow through. That has been my modus operandi for as long as I can remember.
But that is NOT what happened in 2014. And damn if I am not proud. I had a kick butt year and I am thrilled with all that I accomplished. Here is the highlights reel of 2014:
1) I will hit 1,000 running miles for the year. Barring that I break my foot or face some incredible illness (knock on wood), I will close out 2014 having logged 1,000 miles. For the record, since I started running, I record about half that number. I DOUBLED MY MILES IN ONE YEAR!
2) I will have run 19 running events this year from 5k’s to ultras.
3) I raised $3,000 for one of my favorite rescue groups and completed the 100k distance in the process!
4) My dissertation topic was clarified and I am well on my way to completing this bad boy!
5) I finally made it into the marathon maniacs and half fanatics club!
6) I was a pace group leader for four major running events around Columbus Ohio.
Overall, I couldn’t be more pleased with the way that 2014 has shaped up and I still have a couple more running events for the year. I am eager to make plans for 2015 and those are beginning to take shape in my mind; the biggest one being that I get to graduate with my PhD, but I am also contemplating what I want my running schedule to look like.
Either way, I am truly blessed and grateful for having had such an excellent year and I cannot WAIT to see what happens in 2015!